Silk Road School, Renmin University of China (Suzhou)
Master of Contemporary Chinese Studies
I. Application Qualifications
1. NOT have Chinese nationality.
2. Should hold a valid ordinary passport;
3. Have acquired a degree equivalent to a Chinese bachelor’s degree and have a good command of English;
4. Not be older than 35 years old in principle;
5. Be physically and mentally healthy;
II. Application Time
November 15th, 2021- April 30th, 2022
Please note: International Students Office (ISO) of RUC will review the application materials during the application period. Applicants who do not pass the online preliminary review shall resubmit the application materials before the deadline. No application will be accepted after the deadline.
III. Application Process
1. Online Application
Applicants must log in to the International Students Application System of Renmin University of China (http://international.ruc.edu.cn/application) within the application time, fill in the application information authentically, upload the application materials and pay the application fee online in the system.
After the payment of the application fee, the system will automatically generate the Application Form for International Students of Renmin University of China. Applicants should print the application form and sign it.
1) The requirement of the electronic photos:
a. The photo should be One recent 2-inch photo (in white background)
b. The photo should be taken in full-face view
c. With a neutral facial expression
d. Taken in clothes that you normally wear on a daily dark basis
e. Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily
f. Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline, except for a religious purpose. Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face
g. The image format should be in JPG or JPEG
2) The registration information must be verified before submitting. Once submitted, it cannot be modified.
3) Be sure to keep the username and password used in online registration.
4) The application fee is RMB 800 (non-refundable). Please pay the application fee through the online payment in the system.
2. Mail the hard copies of the application materials
After the online application, RUC will review the applicants’information and materials. Applicants who pass the online preliminary review should mail the hard copies of the application materials to the International Students Office of RUC through EMS or SF-Express within one week after passing the online preliminary review.（please send track number to firstname.lastname@example.org one week after passing the online preliminary review）
Mailing Address&Tel :
International Students Office,Renmin University of China,Room 108, International Cultural Exchange Center. No. 59 Zhongguancun St. Haidian District .Beijing, 100872 .People`s Republic of China.
IV. Application Materials (student should upload soft copies online and mail hard copies offline)
1. Application Form for International Students of Renmin University of China
The form should be printed clearly on one piece of A4 paper. Smeared, doodled or damaged forms are not acceptable. Applicants must sign the form.
2. Final Education Certificate
1) Applicants who have graduated should submit the copy of final education certificate, with the original copy of the notarization of the final education certificate or the original copy of verification of the final education certificate by the Ministry of Education of China, the Ministry of Education of the applicant’s country, the applicant’s embassy in China, Chinese embassy in the applicant’s country or other institutions entrusted by the Ministries and Embassies mentioned above.（Please choose one of them,and the language should be Englishor Chinese.）
2) If the applicant is currently a student at school, please submit the original or notarized copy of the certificate of expected graduation issued by his or her current university. The original diploma and graduation certificate must be provided to the university for re-examination. Those who fail to pass the re-examination will not be admitted for registration. If the applicant cannot provide the related final education certificate according to the item 1) above within the first two weeks after registration in September, the enrollment will be turned down.
3. Transcript (original or notarized)
The transcript must include all the courses of the final education period. If the full score of the course is not 100, please provide the guide to transcript.
4. Copies of the first page and visa page of the passport
The applicant must hold an ordinary passport. Other types of passport or ID documents are not allowed for application. The validity of the passport must be later than March 31st, 2023. Otherwise, please change the passport in advance. Applicants must apply for registration and study in China with ordinary passports. The copy of the visa page refers to the copy of the visa page held in China (if any). Please do not change the passport after the online preliminary review.
5. Two Recommendation Letters
Two recommendation letters are required, from two professors or associate professors written in Chinese or English using the letterhead with the university’s name at the top.
The recommendation letters must contain the signature of the recommender. Applicants who have left the University for a long time and cannot get in touch with the university may submit a recommendation letter issued by the leader in charge of the applicant’s work unit using the letterhead paper of the recommender.
6. Personal Statement
The personal statement provides an opportunity for you to present yourself. The content should include personal study and work experience, academic research achievements, research plans, career planning after graduation, etc., written in English.
7. Foreigner Physical Examination Form
The Foreigner Physical Examination Form should be the original document. The template of Foreigner Physical Examination Form can be downloaded on the website of International Students Office. The applicant should go to the local regular hospital for physical examination in strict accordance with the items specified in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. A physical examination form missing items, photo, cross-page seal, signature of the doctor and the seal of the hospital is considered invalid.
8. English Proficiency Certificate
The total score of IELTS must be 6.0 or above, and TOEFL score must be 90 or above. Other English proficiency certificates are not accepted. Applicants who have obtained an English-taught degree or who are native English speakers (including those of Chinese descent born in foreign countries) are not required to submit English proficiency certificate.
9. Proof of Economic Capability (choose one of the following).
1) Bank deposit certificate of the applicant (time deposit of no less than RMB 30,000 and the maturity date should be after October 2022).
2) the guarantor’s employment certificate (annual income specified) or bank deposit certificate (the employment certificate must be issued on the company’s letterhead paper or time deposit of no less than RMB 30,000 and the maturity date should be after October 2022).
10. Letter of Guarantee.
The template of the Letter of Guarantee can be downloaded from the website of the International Students Office. The Letter of Guarantee should be signed by the applicant’s relative or the economic guarantor.
11. Certificate of No Criminal Record (original or notarized copy).
1) Applicants who are currently not in Chinese mainland should offer the certificate issued by the local public security department.
2) Applicants who are currently in Chinese mainland should offer the certificate issued by entry and exit administration departments of China.
12. Nationality Proof
According to the Nationality Law of the People’s Republic of China and the Letter No.12  of the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China, some applicants shall provide additional materials as required below.
1) Applicants having acquired foreign nationality at birth with their parent(s) being Chinese citizen(s) when s/he was born should submit:
a. Proof of acquisition of foreign nationality at birth (notarized copy);
b. Copies of the parents’identity documents at the applicant’s birth;
c. Copies of the parents’current identity documents.
Besides, other materials are required under the following circumstances:
i.An applicant who was born overseas, and (a) whose parents were Chinese citizens having settled abroad when the applicant was born, or (b) one of whose parents is a Chinese citizen having settled abroad when the applicant was born, the other being a foreigner, should submit the copies of proof documents of settling abroad of the parent(s) who was/were Chinese (e.g., visas, exit and entry seals, permanent residence of foreign countries, etc.);
ii.According to the Nationality Law of the People’s Republic of China, applicants are considered to have Chinese nationality if they were born overseas with one or both of their parents being Chinese citizen(s) and having long settled in Chinese Mainland when the applicant was born. Such applicants should submit the notarized copy of renunciation of Chinese nationality;
iii.Applicants who were born in Chinese Mainland, one or both of their parents being Chinese citizen(s) and having long settled in Chinese Mainland when the applicant was born should submit:
(a) Notarized copy of certificate of renunciation of Chinese nationality, if the applicant has settled in Chinese Mainland since birth, meaning that s/he has Chinese nationality;
(b) Documents of settling abroad right after their birth, if the applicant has settled abroad since birth, meaning that s/he does not have Chinese nationality.
2) Applicants who were Chinese citizens (including those who reside in Chinese Mainland, Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan) before immigrating to a foreign country and obtaining foreign nationality should submit:
a. Foreign Nationality Certificate (notarized copy);
b. In addition, applicants who were residents of and have settled in Chinese Mainland and have acquired foreign nationality should submit the certificate of renunciation of Chinese nationality and that of canceling the household registration (hukou) (notarized copies);
c. Applicants who were residents of Chinese Mainland and have acquired foreign nationality after settling abroad should submit the notarized copy of canceling the household registration (hukou) and copy of certificate of settling abroad.
13. Copies of published academic papers, awards or other research results may be attached if necessary.
The published academic papers shall be attached with a retrieval certificate, certificate of publication or other relevant publication proof materials.
Matters needing attention:
* All application materials shall be in Chinese / English, and notarized Chinese / English translation shall be provided for texts not in Chinese / English. Documents in other languages are not accepted. If the published academic paper is too long to provide translation, Chinese / English research certificate, employment certificate or other relevant publication proof materials shall be provided, and the original paper shall be attached;
* If the submitted materials are notarized copies, they shall be the original notarized copies. Copies of notarizations are not accepted;
* All application materials will not be returned once submitted;
* Renmin University of China reserves the right to require the applicant to submit relevant supporting materials.
V. Review and Enrollment Procedure
Applicants can apply for 2 programs at the same time. The International Students Office (ISO) will review the application materials. After the preliminary review, ISO will send the application materials to the first program that the applicant applies for. The program will review the application materials again and notify the qualified applicants of participating a test or an interview.Please choose Silk Road School(Suzhou) as your first choice.
If the applicant’s materials do not pass the review of the first program, or the applicant fails to pass the test or interview of the first program, his or her application materials will go through the same procedure to the second program.
If the applicant fails to pass the review / test / interview of both the programs, the application procedure will automatically end and the applicant cannot be admitted.
After reviewing application materials and organizing the test / interview, the program will form a proposed admission list based on the applicant’s overall performance and research capacity. The proposed admission list will be submitted to the Admission Office of the Graduate School along with the record sheet of the interview and all the application materials. The Admission Committee of Renmin University will deliberate and finalize the admission list, after which the International Students Office will issue the admission results and send the admission notices.
The application period is open until April 30,2022.
Interviewed by expert group (in English)online.
VIII. Application Schedule
Deadline for online applications: April 30,2022
Interview online: From May to June, 2022
Letters of admission sent out: July, 2022
Semester begins: September, 2022
The following specializations are available on the program:
The following is a selection of the available courses
·Investing in China and Its Legal Requirements
·Chinese Traditional Culture
·Contemporary Chinese Diplomacy
·Contemporary Chinese Economy
·Contemporary Chinese Foreign Economic Relations
·Brief Introduction on Chinese Law
·China and Global Governance
·Seminar on Belt and Road Initiative
·China and Its Relations with Great Powers
·China and Its Relations with Neighboring Countries
X.Duration and Location
The program is two years full-time in Suzhou city,Jiangsu Provinceof China ,Silk Road School,Renmin University of China
Address: No.158 Ren’ai Road,Dushulake High Education District,Suzhou,Jiangsu Province,China
Tips: You can email us with a brief introduction and we can help you follow up the whole application process.